Frequently Asked Questions for GSIN Codes

Attention! CanadaBuys is the new official source for Government of Canada tender and award notices. This means you can now search for and bid on tender opportunities posted on CanadaBuys.

Suppliers register in SAP Ariba today!

Register now to ensure you transition to doing business with the new Government of Canada procurement service. Find out how to get started.

New! The Supplier Contract History Letter has been redirected to a new location on CanadaBuys’ website.

Table of Contents

How do I get a Goods and Services Identification Number (GSIN) code?

GSIN codes are not awarded to businesses; rather they are generic product descriptions given to goods and services the Government of Canada buys – like janitorial services is the GSIN code: “K100A: Cleaning and Maintenance, Janitorial.” Therefore, you need to find the GSIN codes related to your industry on to help you find related procurement information, such as Tenders, Standing Offers and Supply Arrangements or Contract History. Read the Get Started with GSIN Codes to learn how.

I cannot find a GSIN code for my good or service, what should I do?

If you cannot locate a GSIN code for your good and/or service, please contact the Infoline at 1-800-811-1148 or by email at: SAC-PAC [at] An Infoline agent will answer your question, or direct you to the appropriate individual.

How will UNSPSC impact GSIN codes?

Coming in 2020, the United Nations Standard Products and Services Code (UNSPSC) will replace GSIN codes. All of the GSIN codes will be mapped to UNSPSC. This mapping between the GSIN and UNSPSC will be shared by PWGSC on as open data.

Over the course of the transition to UNSPSC, Tenders, Standing Offers and Supply Arrangements, and Contract History, will be connected using UNSPSC.

There is no immediate impact to businesses or government buyers. As the transition to UNSPSC is implemented, PWGSC will inform businesses and government buyers of changes that may impact them. Visit the United Nations Standard Products and Services Code (UNSPSC) web page to learn more.

What are the GSIN codes for the mandatory standing offers and supply arrangements?

Find the mandatory standing offers and supply arrangements on the Get Started with GSIN Codes page

How is purchasing contact information updated?

Purchasing contact information is regularly updated by the procurement sectors of Public Works and Government Canada (PWGSC) Acquisitions Branch.

What is the PWGSC Central Allocations Unit?

The PWGSC Central Allocations Unit (CAU) within Acquisitions Branch receives all incoming requisitions (specifically the PWGSC-TPSGC 9200 - Requisition for Goods and Services and Construction form) from federal departments and agencies in the National Capital Region. The CAU analyzes requisitions to identify the good or service required, and then forwards the requisition to the appropriate contracting division in Acquisitions Branch.

Note: PWGSC Regional offices have their own allocation unit to receive and process regional requests.

Where can I get information about completing a requisition form?

It is important to accurately describe your procurement requirement so that the appropriate contracting division receives your requisition. Use the Requisition Checklist - PWGSC-TPSGC 195 to help you verify that your requisition is complete.

What division is responsible for the procurement of my good or service?

Use Contacts for GSIN Codes to find contact information for the division responsible for the procurement of your good or service.