Table of Contents
- What is the Statement of Work?
- Qualities of a good Statement of Work
- Sample Statement of Work
- For more information
What is the Statement of Work?
The Statement of Work (SOW) is a narrative description of the work required and stipulates the deliverables or services required to fulfill the contract. It defines the task to be accomplished or services to be delivered in clear, concise and meaningful terms.
The Statement of Work is very important as it becomes part of the resulting contract. Nothing should be assumed or left unsaid in the Statement of Work. If a conflict arises about the work required, the statement of work is one part of the contract always referred to in resolving disputes.
Qualities of a good Statement of Work
A good SOW will defines the nature, extent, and quality of the good or service is required. A good SOW will take into consideration the following:
- The SOW must be clear and complete.
- The SOW should be written in a way that will allow for free competition between vendors.
- The SOW should be written in the imperative mood.
- The SOW must respect the legal framework, policies, rules and socioeconomic objectives regulating the goods and services being procured.
Remember: The client is responsible for developing the Statement of Work
Sample Statement of Work
For more information
For more information, please see the PWGSC Supply Manual Chapter 2: Defining the Requirement and Requisition Receipt.