This guide lists the resources and services offered by the Office of Small and Medium Enterprises (OSME). These include self-serve reference sheets, seminars and seminar notes, workshops, and one-on-one assistance.
For upcoming seminar and workshop dates, visit the Event Calendar.
New to procurement? Looking for information to help decide if this is an avenue you may want to pursue? The following resources and services provide a basic overview of procurement and the steps involved.
- Getting started selling to the Government of Canada (Reference sheet) – The basics of procurement, how to find opportunities, becoming a supplier, bidding on opportunities, following opportunities.
- Mythbusting government procurement (Seminar; see Mythbusting seminar notes) – Join us to dispel some myths about selling to government and find out what the government buys, who the government buys from, how the government buys, where to find resources and free support for small businesses.
Planning and searching for opportunities
Interested in becoming a supplier of goods or services to the government? The seminars and workshops listed below provide detailed information about the procurement process and how you can find suitable opportunities to bid on.
- Finding opportunities and supplying goods and services to the Government of Canada during COVID-19 (Seminar; see Finding opportunities during COVID-19 seminar notes) – Understand the federal procurement process, find opportunities on BuyAndSell.gc.ca, find additional sources of information for companies interested in selling to the federal government.
- Doing business with the Government of Canada (Seminar; see Doing business seminar notes) – Find out whether the government buys your goods or services, understand the contracting process, register in supplier databases, build networks and promote your business, search for opportunities, take advantage of the procurement information on BuyAndSell.gc.ca, understand the security clearance process, learn about bidding on opportunities.
- Finding opportunities on BuyAndSell.gc.ca (Seminar; see Finding opportunities seminar notes) – Search for tenders, contract history, standing offers and supply arrangements; follow opportunities to keep informed about new notices and amendments; find additional sources of information for suppliers.
- Supplying professional services to the Government of Canada (Seminar; see Professional services seminar notes) – Procurement tools for professional services, how to register in professional services supplier databases, key contact persons.
- Defence and security procurement (Seminar) – Defence Procurement Strategy, key players, entry points for smaller businesses, how to prepare your business, how to stay aware of defence and security projects and timelines, where to find help.
- Registering in the Supplier Registration Information system (Reference sheet) – Step-by-step instructions with screenshots to guide you through the process of registering in the Supplier Registration Information (SRI) database, completing your business profile and managing your SRI account.
- Federal supplier registration (Workshop) – Register in the Supplier Registration Information (SRI) database, find opportunities on BuyAndSell.gc.ca, subscribe to notifications of new opportunities related to your goods and services
- Doing business with the Government of Canada, half-day all-in-one (Seminar) – A detailed half-day seminar covering doing business with the government, finding opportunities on BuyAndSell.gc.ca and bidding on opportunities.
- OSME Info Café (Q&A) – Reserve your spot to ask questions on how to sell goods and services to the government; learn about tools, resources and funding programs; pick up tips on finding opportunities, bidding best-practices, and more. This event is not offered on a regular basis. Check the Event Calendar for upcoming dates.
- Ask OSME Anything (Q&A) - Drop in for information nuggets related to procurement, ask questions on how to sell goods and services to the government, learn about tools, resources and funding programs, pick up tips on finding opportunities, bidding best-practices, and more. This event is not offered on a regular basis. Check the Event Calendar for upcoming dates.
Getting ready to bid
Are you actively searching for contract opportunities? Looking for detailed and practical advice on the bidding process and how to prepare a bid submission? The services and resources below can help you get “bid ready”.
- Preparing to bid on an opportunity (Reference sheet) – The basic process for bidding, understanding an opportunity, deciding to bid, obtaining security clearance, preparing bid documents, submitting a bid, post-bid debrief.
- Bidding on opportunities (Seminar; see Bidding seminar notes) – Different types of solicitation documents, the main elements of a solicitation document and how to respond to them, how bids are evaluated and suppliers are selected, how to follow-up after receipt of the bidding process results, best practices, tips and suggestions.
- Obtaining security clearance (Seminar) - Security requirements identified in the tender, registration process to obtain a security clearance with the Industrial Security Program, different levels of organization clearances and personnel clearances, your responsibilities as a supplier
If you need help understanding the federal procurement process or registering for a procurement business number: