In consideration of setting requirements for low carbon cement and concrete for the Government of Canada (EN578-200001)
- Publishing status
- Publication date
- Amendment date
- Date closing
- 2020/07/17 14:00 Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
- Reference number
- Solicitation number
- Region of opportunity
- Region of delivery
- Notice type
- Letter of Interest (LOI)/Request for Information (RFI)
- 5132A: Bridges, Elevated Highways, Tunnels, Subways and Railroads
- 5139A: Construction Services, Not Elsewhere Specified
- 5136A: Construction for Mining and Manufacturing
- 5179FB: General Contractor Services, Not Elsewhere Specified
- B101A: Environmental Impact Studies
- B109A: Other Environmental Studies
- C111A: Architect/Engineer Services - Administration & Service Buildings
- C112A: Architect/Engineer Services - Airfield, Communication and Missile Facilities
- C113A: Architect/Engineer Services - Educational Buildings
- C114A: Architect/Engineer Services - Hospital Buildings
- C115A: Architect/Engineer Services - Industrial Buildings
- C116A: Architect/Engineer Services - Residential Buildings
- C117A: Architect/Engineer Services - Warehouse Buildings
- C118A: Architect/Engineer Services Research and Development Facilities
- C119AH: Architectural Services: Statement of Requirements or Building Programming
- C211D: Architect and Engineering Services - Buildings
- D302AAS: Professional Special Services, EDP, Not Elsewhere Specified
- E110A: Environmental Site Investigation
- H100A: Materials Inspection and Quality Assurance
- R013A: Land and Building Appraisal
- C219A: Engineering Services
- N5440A: Forms, Concrete
- N5440: Scaffolding Equipment and Concrete Forms
- N5610R: Expansion Joint Filler, for Concrete
- N5610BA: Cement, Portland
- N5610BC: Cement, Roofing
- N5610C: Concrete
- N5610CB: Concrete, Joint Sealer
- N5610CD: Concrete, Ready-Mix
- N5610CE: Concrete, Pre-Mixed in Bags
- N5610D: Emulsion, Asphalt
- N5610E: Primer, Asphalt
- N5610F: Precast Concrete Products
- N5620B: Precast, Prestressed Concrete Units
- N5620BB: Slabs, Roof, Wall and Floor, Concrete, Precast, Prestressed
- N5620BA: Structural Members, Concrete, Precast, Prestressed
- N5620BC: Piling, Concrete, Precast, Prestressed
- N5620BD: Trenches, Concrete, Precast, Prestressed
- N5620BE: Walls, Retaining, Concrete, Precast, Prestressed
- B202A: Geotechnical Studies - Licensed Engineers
- C119A: Architectual Services - Buildings
- B219A: Other Engineering Studies
- Trade agreement
- Tendering procedure
- Procurement entity
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- End user entity
- Public Works and Government Services Canada
- Contact name
- Reeve, Soledad
- Contact email
- Contact phone
- Contact fax
Find Out Who Is Interested In This Tender
Are you looking for partnering opportunities or thinking about bidding? Find out who is interested in the tender and add your name to the List of Interested Suppliers.
Access the List of Interested Suppliers for this tender
The following statistics are only for the English page and are provided in close to real time. To calculate the total activity for a tender notice, you will need to add the English and French statistics.
- Page views
- Unique page views
- Tender notice updates
- Get notifications for this tender notice:
For more information on notifications, visit the Follow Opportunities page.
The Government of Canada’s (GC) Greening Government Strategy includes the following commitments:
• The government will reduce the environmental impact of building materials using life-cycle assessment techniques to minimize embodied carbon and the use of harmful materials in construction and renovation.
• The government will aid the transition to a low-carbon economy through green procurement that includes life-cycle assessment principles and the adoption of clean technologies and green products and services by including criteria that address carbon reduction, sustainable plastics and broader environmental benefits into procurements by departments for goods and services that have a high environmental impact.
The Government of Canada is considering setting mandatory minimum requirements for the procurement of low carbon concrete. This RFI seeks feedback to assist in the development of requirements designed to achieve environmental objectives and support a competitive and resilient marketplace.
Requirements under consideration are:
- Starting 2021, and phasing in over 12 months to support market readiness, all general use cement specified by GC will be Portland Limestone Cement (PLC) or equivalent
From this 10% lower-carbon baseline, GC designers will be required to reduce further emissions by specifying low-carbon concrete:
- Starting [Month, Year] all concrete specified by GC will require product-and-facility-specific Type III Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs) or equivalent.
- Starting [Month, Year] GC will publish maximum carbon intensity values for concrete specified on a range of project types which will set mandatory lower-carbon benchmarks for concrete purchased by GC. (The GC intends to collaborate with the architects and engineers, and cement and concrete, sectors to set benchmarks.)
To assist the GC in considering these requirements interested parties are invited to answer questions and provide feedback.
Questions are broken down by discipline:
ANNEX 1 Questions for architects, engineers and associated interested parties
ANNEX 2 Questions for cement and concrete suppliers and associated interested parties
Respondents may respond to either or both Annexes.
This is not a bid solicitation. This RFI will not result in the award of any contract. Responding to this RFI will not preclude respondents from participating in any future procurement. This RFI is simply intended to solicit feedback from industry with respect to the matters described in this RFI.
The Government of Canada will not reimburse any respondent for expenses incurred in responding to this RFI.
The Government of Canada want to thank you in advance for your participation!
Feedback to the RFI is to be submitted electronically (by email) to:
Government of Canada (GC) tender notices and awards, solicitation documents and tender attachments are available free of charge and without registration on Buyandsell.gc.ca/tenders, the authoritative location for GC tenders.
You may have received this tender notice or award through a third-party distributor. The Government of Canada is not responsible for any tender notices and/or related documents and attachments not accessed directly through Buyandsell.gc.ca/tenders.
This Government of Canada tender notice or tender award carries an Open Government Licence - Canada that governs its use. Related solicitation documents and/or tender attachments are copyright protected. Please refer to the section about Commercial Reproduction in the Buyandsell.gc.ca Terms and Conditions for more information.