Symbol of the Government of Canada

Public Services and Procurement Canada Coverage of dredging services

  1. The Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) and the Canada-United Kingdom Trade Continuity Agreement (Canada-UK TCA) are the only international trade agreements that cover dredging services (see CETA Annex 19-6 – Construction services and Canada-UK TCA Article I). As such, when CETA and the Canada-UK TCA apply, in addition to dredging equipment of Canadian make and manufacture, dredging equipment and vessels of European Union (EU) member state and United Kingdom (UK) make and manufacture are permitted on the work, whether in dredging procurements or construction services procurements with dredging as a component.
  2. Dredging services and dredging services that are incidental to construction services contracts are only covered for central government entities. The CETA and Canada-UK TCA construction services thresholds for central government entities apply.
  3. For dredging procurements subject to CETA and the Canada-UK TCA, or dredging services that are incidental to CETA and Canada-UK TCA -covered construction services contracts, the following requirements apply:
    1. the vessel or other floating plant equipment used in the supply of the dredging services:
      1. is of Canadian, European Union or United Kingdom make or manufacture; or
      2. has been predominantly modified in Canada, the European Union or the United Kingdom and has been owned by a person located in Canada, the European Union or the United Kingdom for at least a year prior to the submission of the tender by the bidder; and
    2. the vessel must be registered in:
      1. Canada; or
      2. The United Kingdom or a Member State of the European Union and have been granted a temporary licence under the Coasting Trade Act, S.C. 1992, c. 31. The temporary licence will be granted to the United Kingdom or European Union vessel, subject to applicable non-discretionary requirements. The requirement that a temporary licence will only be issued if there is no Canadian duty or non-duty paid vessel available will not be applied to the application for that temporary licence.