Table of contents
- For innovators
- For government departments
As an initiative of the Government of Canada – one of the most important buyers of goods and services in the country – the Build in Canada Innovation Program (BCIP) provides many benefits to both innovators and federal government departments.
Events are taking place across Canada to provide more information on the BCIP, and to bring together entrepreneurs with federal government users that could benefit from innovative goods and services. These events provide the opportunity for departments to highlight their needs and challenges to potential suppliers of innovative solutions, and for innovators to showcase their innovations to federal representatives.
Benefits of the program for innovators
The Build in Canada Innovation Program (BCIP) provides many benefits to potential suppliers, including the opportunity to:
- Sell pre-commercialized goods and services to the Federal Government of Canada through an open, transparent, competitive and fair procurement process.
- Connect with potential clients in federal government departments and showcase innovations to them.
- Enter the marketplace with a successful application of new goods and services.
- Get feedback on the use of innovative goods or services in an operational setting before taking it to market.
Whether or not innovators are successful in being awarded a contract from this specific program, they will also:
- Find out how to sell to the Government of Canada, the largest buyer of goods and services in Canada.
- Learn more about opportunities for supplying innovative goods and services to the Government of Canada.
- Improve their understanding of how to do business with the Government of Canada.
Innovators: how to participate
- Attend BCIP related events and activities. Innovators can learn more about the BCIP at upcoming events in order to assess whether the program is a good fit for their innovative good or service. Innovators will have the opportunity to engage with staff from a variety of government departments about innovation and government procurement, and find out about other government programs and services that support Canadian innovators.
- Participate in the Calls for Proposals. Canadian businesses with an innovative good or service that has not yet been sold commercially can visit the Tenders minisite regularly to view details about the current Call for Proposals solicitation requirements or subscribe to the BCIP Update list to receive updates about the program.
For government departments
Benefits of the program for government departments
Federal government departments will have the opportunity to:
- Find innovations not yet available in the marketplace to fill specific departmental challenges and needs, and to increase efficiency.
- Meet face to face with innovative suppliers of goods and services.
- Access opportunities to test and use the latest Canadian innovations.
- Support vendors by assisting companies in advancing innovations into commercialization.
- Promote innovation and support the development of Canadian businesses.
Government departments: how to participate
- Participate in BCIP related events and activities. Government departments can ensure that their departmental needs and challenges are well understood by potential suppliers of innovative solutions by having departmental representatives attend upcoming events that BCIP is hosting or in which BCIP is participating. Use this opportunity to meet with companies and learn about all the innovative goods and services not yet available in the marketplace.
- Test and evaluate pre-qualified innovations. Government departments can benefit directly from the innovative goods and services pre-qualified by BCIP by agreeing to test innovations and to provide the supplier with feedback on the innovation’s performance. Departments interested in testing innovations can view the Test an Innovation page and the Pre-Qualified Innovations page.